Friday, November 24, 2006

Singapore - VivoCity

Singapore's latest biggest thing when I was there was probably VivoCity. In fact, Suntec City's popularity was probably badly affected by VivoCity (in my opinion lah). VivoCity is one of the more upper class shopping centres, where the things there are again, too "atas" for my "bawah" pockets and wallets. Sad, sad. VivoCity is linked to HarbourFront Centre (a more affordable place) where cheaper food can be found. So if you happen to be at VivoCity, just hop over to HarbourFront Centre for a more affordable meal at their food court. VivoCity has a food court as well, very well designed. I like the atmosphere there. There are fastfood shops as well, such as Carl's Junior and Burger King. You can get a HUGE pastrami burger(non-halal) at Carl's Junior for around SGD13++.

Anyway, what I liked about VivoCity was probably the location, design and beautiful, beautiful view. You can actually see Sentosa Island from VivoCity. VivoCity's exterior is like a large cruise ship and it's no wonder, it was designed by an award-winning Japanese architect, Toyo Ito. So, here are the pictures...

View of Sentosa Island from the highest floor of VivoCity. It was quite hazy in Singapore at that time, even more than Malaysia. That day was one of the "not so bad" days. The red-roof building on the island is the ferry's jetty. Directly in front of the cameraman is the super tall snowman.

Three green decor pieces looked like big green tables to me... Right at the end there is a jetty for ferries going to Batam Island (I think).

More green tables...LOL! The port/harbour can be seen from here. Those tall, crane like things (I'm sorry, zero knowledge when it comes to shipping and cargo) looked like mechanical giraffes to me. Can you imagine if they started walking one day?!!

Side profile of Mr Tall Snowman. Doesn't look very happy...

The Imperial Cheng Ho! Not sure whether it's Imperial Cheng Ho II or III, not that it matters anyway. The Merlion of Sentosa Island can be seen beyond the junk.

OK, a little bit of information on the Imperial Cheng Ho (be it II or III), the modern Chinese junk. I quote the brochure

"The Cheng Ho is modelled after the famous ship Da Fu (number four) of the Ming Dynasty, when Chinese naval power was supreme." The all-new Cheng Ho III sailed from Wuzhou in southern China to SIngapore in just nine days in September 2005, joining her 'older' sister, Cheng Ho II, to offer leisurely harbour cruises reminiscent of ancient maritime days."

So it says in the brochure that the owner and operator is WaterTours Pte Ltd. There are several types of cruises which should be shown on their website. Price range is from SGD25 and above for adults. I supposed food is included. Anyway, it's a beautiful boat, in my opinion. From far, of course.

To get to VivoCity by MRT, hop onto the North-East Line and go all the way to HarbourFront station (connects to VivoCity Directly).

And now...a piece from the present time...

I had a friend who said that I have a morbid sense of humour, but even this is too much for me...

I dropped my handphone. My handphone's ok but not the handphone chain.

My teru teru bozu got beheaded! How morbid! My first thought was, "OMG, IT"S GONNA RAIN EVERYDAY!" And then.."but it has been raining everyday..." Apparently, there is a famous nursery rhyme on teru teru bozu. AND THEN, I read this on Wikipedia's website, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teruterubozu:-

"Like many nursery rhymes, this song is supposed to have a darker history than it first appears. It allegedly originated from a story of a monk who promised farmers to stop rain and bring clear weather during a prolonged period of rain which was ruining crops. When the monk failed to bring sunshine, he was executed."

I...I don't know what to say. Now is seems as though as I'm the farmers-united who executed Teru-chan, the monk for failing to bring the sunshine! Morbid coincidence?It HAS been raining everyday lately...

I'm sorry Micchy...I'll fix Teru-chan as soon as possible. I will never execute him on purpose.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 1:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dear... mine did that a long, long time ago already. :)
Don't worry about it.

http://www.tabulas.com/~eirene83/1259487.html

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Darke Shard said...

Wow, and here I thought the Teru Teru Bozus were only an item in the game Boktai. (Oddly, called a Mr. Rainnot.)

Although I am not wont to suggest that your beloved and beheaded Teru Teru Bozu was ineffective in preventing rain, perhaps you should try attaching something else to your phone... like, say, an umbrella.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Jonquina said...

Micchy: O.o Hah...Teru-chan's departure was earlier than his...however, I shall attempt to resurrect him!

darke shard: I'd like to see you do that...Actually, I'd like even more to see you attach to Sugi's handphone. >=D

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Jonquina said...

Micchy: Uh, I meant, Teru-chan's brother. Or sister? Hmmmmm...

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Jyrenze said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Jyrenze said...

tsk tsk, u executed him..jus like Light from death note

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger YSLim said...

no wonder my place rain everyday....

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Jonquina said...

Argh! Dont' misunderstand...I didn't execute him to make it rain, I executed him for NOT stopping the rain.
...
....
.....
NO! I DIDN"T EXECUTE HIM ON PURPOSE, DAMMIT!

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Eng said...

Steph the executioner..??!!
I can't imagine...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home