Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Singapore - Firefly Trip

Finally, the highlight of the trip. Searching for fireflies. Actually, there's nothing much I can say about it, except that it was really difficult to spot the first firefly. Oddly enough, even though it was 7.00 p.m. already, the sky was still bright. So the boatman had to take us further down the river to search for the fireflies. Of course, all of us were required to wear our life jackets. However, I wonder if the life jackets were provided just for the sake of not being charged or for our safety's sake. Most of the jackets weren't in a good condition. Zips missing, strings gone...makes you wonder whether our safety is their first priority (who am I kidding...of course our money is their first priority).

At the rate their habitats are being invaded and destroyed, I'm not surprised if they go extinct one day. For more ACCURATE information, since I'm not professor in this field, please visit this site.
It is NOT ethical to catch any fireflies you see. However, some on our boat did catch those fireflies which were brave enough to fly beside us. I'm also an unethical person for not telling them to release it...=P

Anyway, when we went down the river it felt a little...scary. A little creepy. Like that movie, Anaconda (although I didn't watch -_-|||). We went on and on and on until I thought that we will end up in Singapore again (remember that the firefly trip is in Johor). I thought my eyes were going to pop out, the way I kept on straining them to search for the first firefly. Finally I spotted them! SO TINY! So many of them on the trees...It looked as if there were brightly lit christmas trees along the river that we were cruising on. Sadly, the night was too dark for my little camera to take pictures. Here are the pictured BEFORE the day got too dark for my camera.


View of the birds' nests under the bridge


Going down the eerie river

I've decided to post up a video of an ostrich egg hatching (this is pissing off. When blogger is up and running, u-tube is down and unconcious).


All things fun would come to an end...

Sayonara!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger Jyrenze said...

I remember when we found this injured firefly on the restaurent floor in Kuala Selangor. We picked it up and brought it home, otherwise it would get stepped on. It didnt last very long though, but it was interesting to see it glow.

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Eng said...

got a photo to show?
I'd love to see how firefly looks like...

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger Jonquina said...

Jyrenze: Well, it was injured. You were being kind hearted, not unethical...

Eng: Nah, if got I will post it up. It was too dark.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home