Monday, November 20, 2006

Public Facilities in Singapore

I always dislike using the public washrooms here. They stink, they are dirty and they have things n there which makes me lose my appetite, although there's slight improvement now compared to a few years back. It's also irritating how, in this modern time and city, some folks DO NOT KNOW HOW TO USE A SITTING TOILET BOWL. You sit on a toilet bowl, not climb onto it like a cat and squat. Now in Singapore, the public washrooms there are what I call neat and believe it or not, cozy. At least you can do your business, be it big or small in comfort without needing to hold your breath and suffocate. Or if you don't hold your breath, you'll suffocate anyway. THIS is an example of a very neat washroom in Singapore's Botanic Gardens, which I will blog about later.

Very neat and clean washroom

I just couldn't resist taking pictures of the washroom for my blog. Of course, I had to make sure that there weren't anyone else in the washroom. Now, on to my next complaint. It's also amazing how lazy some folks can be. I don't think much energy is needed to PULL/PRESS THE FLUSH. Maybe what they need is a hand censor flush like the one they have in Singapore Botanic Gardens:

If you look closely, right at the top of the toilet bowl, there's a hand censor flush there. Just place your palm there and it'll flush. And then again, it might not work because some folks here might find it too troublesome to wave their hands in front of the censor. Either that or the flush will be spoilt by those who can't resist waving non stop just to amuse themselves like this cat here.

I'm beginning to wonder whether there is an award for the best designed toilets in Singapore. This was one of the washroom taken at one of the upper class shopping complexes (can't remember which one).
Holland themed washroom. So cute!

To the Singaporeans, answering nature calls while enjoying nature must be quite important, I guess...

because the zoo's toilet also has the same theme as this one. This was taken at the Singapore Botanics Garden.

I know that Singapore is a "kiasu" country, especially when it comes to education but this is certainly something...really kiasu...
Educational poster behind the washroom's cubicle's door.

"Inputting" while "outputting". This was taken from INSIDE a cubicle at the Safari Zoo. No, don't ask me what I was doing. I know it's a little dark, but there were people in the washroom and they'll be suspicious to see a flash going off INSIDE the cubicle. So sadly, I couldn't take picture of the washroom itself.

Ok, enough on washrooms. Next, MRT stations. I've once commented how a stranger can get lost in the MRT station if he/she has a lousy sense of direction. The following pictures are taken from Dhoby Gaut interchange (I think) or was it City Hall?

There were escalators everywhere!

One problem I had with MRT stations was that the place had no DUSTBINS. None at all. Apparently, this is so that the terrorist can't plant bombs there. I also found out from Kenny Sia's blog on what happened when HE took pictures inside the MRT stations. Well, I guess I was lucky.

Even the MRT stations here have beautiful art on their wall. I saw a few Philipino maids standing there to take pictures. No one bothered them either.


I know this isn't a public facility, but I still like this not-so-small aquarium in Wisma Atria, Orchard Road.

Again, there's no harm in EDUCATING the young and old on the different types of fishes in there.

This technically, doesn't belong to Singapore, but, ah well...a familiar sight everytime we leave Singapore.

Everytime I see this sight, my heart feels heavy as it signals that fun-time has ended and it's back to reality.

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

At 9:39 AM, Blogger Jyrenze said...

Haha... reality = malaysia eh... well maybe in the future you can migrate to SG to work... :p

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Jonquina said...

Then Sg will be reality instead and that will spoil all the fun, no?

 
At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Steffi, let's both go to Singapore together. Then you can give me a grand tour of the toilets there, since, well, you seem to have a toilet fetish going on. Yay, Steffi! :D

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Elmo says Hi said...

singapore isn't what you think it may be.

migrate to NZ/australia/US/europe. hahaha

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Jonquina said...

LOL! That's why I said it's only good to holiday there. Working there is another different story...

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Eng said...

let us all one day visit Sg together... just us college frens...

Steph can be our tour guide and Ash can then blog for us about it...

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger ashes said...

with the rate im going now with my own blog..i'll probably take more than 6 months to complete the post eng..

well unless u guys wanna wait...:P

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Eng said...

hehehe... nvm, I'll help you... I can record everything in point form and you do the expansion...

hahaha.... yeah rite, dream on... it took me quite a while to finish my China blog as well... just that it did not take 6 months of course... just 1 month.... and it's finally done... yaye!!!

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Eng said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Jonquina said...

Yes, ashes, UPDATE YOUR BLOG.

Eng: It's not a bad idea actually. I've already got information on budget hotels and hostels. However, planning when to take our leaves will be more complicated.
Other than that, I dun think there'll be any problems. I've collected a whole bunch of places-to-visit brochures from my last visit. Er, we have to give each other time to collect $$ too...Singapore ain't a cheap place to tour.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Eng said...

LOL... I was only joking b'cos... yeah.... holidaying in Sg isn't cheap

besides, I think I'd rather visit places like Bali or Phuket... away from city life... hehehe... least I think these places would be cheaper than Sg as well...

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger BillyTong said...

You are lucky that I'm not eating while reading your blog. *The toilet bowl. * arggh...burp...*vomit
Otherwise I might sue you for compensation of my food, health, medical fees, my computer desk, keyboard & monitor!

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Eng said...

if that actually happens, who ask you to be eating in front of the PC in the first place??!!!

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Jonquina said...

Way to go, Eng!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home