Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Food, Services and Souvenirs...

Customer Service...

Firstly, I'll like to gripe about the customer services provided by Secret Recipe's KL Sentral branch. I'm not a fussy customer, really. However, it irks me to see the double standards of serving customers there. It was blatant that customers are treated and served according to skin colour. When we arrived there, no one approached us. We just chose a table and sat down on our own. We signaled to a waitress to come take our orders, and she told us to wait. So we waited. Yet, no one came to take our orders. It wasn't like they were busy. Oh wait, they WERE busy. They were busy chatting with each other, ignoring us. We had to signal to another waiter to come take our orders, which he did reluctantly.

And then, a foreigner stood at the front of the shop. The waiter IMMEDIATELY ran to her to invite her in. Another waiter was making faces at him, probably teasing him about serving the foreign lady. Of course, she was given a first class treatement and service by them. It's really sickening to see this happening as all of us are paying customers and we expect the same treatment. I don't think it takes much to do that. Needless to say, my friend refused to leave any tips for them after that. The only good thing about that branch is the food, but with double standards like that, who has the mood to eat?

Food and Souvenirs...

Are on my top ten favourites list :D It is pretty embarassing when even your boss knows that the way to make his staff happy (meaning yours truly) is to provide her with good, and I mean really good food/snacks/anything edible/beverage. Even most food and drink coupons would be given to be. But all embarassment would be gone when I eat or drink whatever I've received (if it's good). My friend Micchy, baked cookies and biscotti for me since I've been constantly bugging her to do so on her blog...

(Please bear with the low quality pictures, my digital camera has officially died and these were taken with my cheap webcam).
Banana Oatmeal Cookies on the left and Spicy Chocolate Biscotti on the right! And she came all the way to our old school to pass it to me *sniff* THANKS MICCHY! MUAKS!!!

My aunt, uncles and cousins have just gotten back from Japan recently...Of course, they did not forget to bring back Japanese sweets (meaning desserts, kuihs, delicacies...etc...) with them for me. How could they forget, when yours truly has been reminding them to do so? :D

I have no idea what this is called, but it looks like a flat green "wan tan" to me. However, when I ate this, it was the first time the word "quality" came to my mind. ABSOLUTELY OISHII! the green skin tasted like angkoo kuih but the texture was smooth, fine and not sticky. It has genuine red bean filling which wasn't too sweet.




Cute tangerine sweets. There's actually a piece of real tangerine in each sweet. I have no heart to eat them...





Some sort of persimmon sweet. This little note came with it...

I have no idea what the note is about although I can read hiragana and katakana. Pity...

Snacks review:
It's really odd to see a fish in the middle of the rice crackers and other stuffs. This little packet contains 10 different types of snacks in there. As expected, the description at the back of the packet was in Japanese, so where the name has XXX it means that it's a kanji (chinese) character and I don't know how to read kanji...

1. Aji
I really, really didn't have the appetite to eat this. I kept on imagining myself as a cat, with mouth wide open, waiting for the fish to be dropped into my mouth. My mom insisted that it tasted good so I gingerly picked it up and tried to stuff it into my mouth. In the end, I agreed to share half with her, she took the head portion and I took the tail portion. It tasted not unlike our fish satay snack.

2. EbiXXX

Has prawn flavour, peanut inside. Not very salty.

3. Ebi arare

Tasted like our keropok udang, but not as flavourful.

4.DaiXXXnoXXX

Salty and spicy. Has peanut filling.

5. Atarimepii

Also has peanut filling. The white stuff on top is, according to the description, mayonnaise topping. It has subtle wasabi flavour, though (or maybe I was imagining things).

6. Norisen

This one is on the salter side...strong seaweed flavour.

7. NoriXarare

Obviously a seaweed rice cracker. Crunchy and salty.

8. XXshouyuXX

The one with the most complicated name. Has this blood vein like thing all over it. It has peanut filling, strong soy taste and slightly spicy.

9. XXyorinopiinattsu

Pretty obvious that it's a peanut, even by the name.

10. XXdaiXXarare

Erm...rice cracker with fried garlic on top? Seriously...I have no idea...

Besides food, I have also received postcards, keychains (from Korea) magnets and pictures. To me, pictures and postcards are real treasures as I can imagine myself (I know it's pathetic) wandering around those places. Travel through pictures perhaps?

Since Teru-chan has departed temporarily, I should replace him with either one of these:

but I think it'll be REALLY freaky if THESE dolls' heads got detached from their bodies...

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 1:34 PM, Blogger Darke Shard said...

Steffi! First, wow, you sure love your food. But where're the bananas? Second, try breeding those two dolls so you can get a whole new litter of teru-chans to replace the one you executed?

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Darke Shard said...

But more seriously, there's nothing pathetic about imagining yourself traveling to places you haven't been to. Hey, I treasure postcards and pictures more than most other gifts, too. :)

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Eng said...

wow... looking at the photos are making me drool. so next time remember to share the food with us, k?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home