Thursday, April 13, 2006

Senile...or not?

People said, as we age, we get more senile. But sometimes, I wonder to what extent this statement is true?

Situation 1:

It was sometime around late last year when my paternal grandma came down with my aunt to stay with my uncle. We decided to take them out for dinner at a nearby restaurant. This restaurant was once at another location.

(Conversation is in Cantonese/English)

Grandma: Where are we going?
Dad: To this restaurant ABC.
Grandma: *she has a bit of hearing problem* Ha?
Aunt: RESTAURANT ABC
Grandma: Oh...last time, it was under the bridge there right?
The rest of us: *amazed*
Dad: Wah...she can remember eh? I totally forgotten about that.
Aunt: Hahaha...sometimes she can really remember things...

After dinner, at my uncle's house...

Mom: Ok lah, we have to go now.
Steffi: Yeah, bye! *walks out to put on shoes*
Grandma: Ah bye bye...Ah wait...what's her name ah? *gestures towards me*
Steffi: *almost fell over*
Mom: Stephanie...haha
Steffi: T_T She can remember where that restaurant was at TEN, TWENTY YRS AGO and she can't even remember my name?!
Dad: Aiyah, she can remember things when she was younger that time...
Steffi: I EXISTED MORE THAN TWENTY YRS AGO!!! -_-|||

Situation 2:

Few months later, she came down again with my two other aunts. Again, we went out for dinner at another restaurant.

(Conversation in Cantonese)
Grandma: *stares at me*
Steffi: *looks back*
Grandma: *to mom* Where are the other two?
Steffi: O_o Two...?
Mom: No, no... I only have two daughters...not three.
Grandma: Oh...haha...wrong person...

I suddenly acquired another sibling :S

Situation 3:

I went back to Kluang recently for Cheng Beng and also to celebrate my grandma's birthday. So while the older folks talk to each other, I just walked around the hall, looking for something new.

Grandma: Where's the other one? (luckily she said one this time, and not two)
Mom: Oh, the other one is staying at the University yada yada yada
Grandma: pot pet pot pet
The rest: pot pet bla bla
Grandma: So, where's the other one...
Steffi: *sweatdrops*
Mom: *explains all over again*
Steffi: *browsing through the photo album*
Grandma: So, has she found a boyfriend yet? *meaning ME*
Steffi: *jaw went slack, almost dropped the album*
Mom: Haha...not yet lah...
Steffi: ...she can remember to ask that...

The next day, my guy cousin had lunch with us before taking the train back to Singapore.

Cousin: Ok, I'm going now.
The rest of us: Ok, bye bye, have a safe journey...
Grandma: Ah...who's that ah...
Steffi: ^-^;
Aunt: *tells her his name*
Grandma: Oh...

I...really dunno what to think of this matter. But it sure is amusing. Wonder whether I'll be like that next time.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 11:12 PM, Blogger BillyTong said...

Aiya..Steph...u cant blame ur grandma for cant remember u.

She is ur grandma. She is old. Her body is degenerating, aging. U cant expect her to be fully 100% condition like her young time. Sometimes it is ok for her to forget every little small thing. You can consider VERY VERY LUCKY @ ur age where ur grandma is still healthly and with u.

Regarding why she ask about ur bf thingy. My guess she is still care about u. She love u. Wonder when u will have ur own family. She want to see it. Thats one of her goal in her life. And u have to help her to archive it! Find a bf now, who knows may be HE'll *able to restore ur grandma memory capability and the posibility bring more happiness to ur grandma or may be allow her to stay longer in this beautiful & wonderful world.

Go on start issuing "bf MyKard" identity now and renew it into "hubby MyKard" later. Wishing u that someone will be holding ur "hubby MyKard" in the coming future. :P

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Philip said...

Agree to billys statement. N billy, u missed "children MyKard" after having "hubby MyKard" :P

HEHEHE... faster steph... issue n upgrade ASAP... U dun hav much time left :D

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Jyrenze said...

Haha steph, reminds me of my grandpa, who can remember all the provinces of China but cant remember what we have told him seconds ago. Last time my grandma while she was alive, cant even remember if she had eaten already or not. Old age is like that la, btw I heard you can avoid memory loss if you use your brain more. Maybe thats the only good thing about being a programmer.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Jonquina said...

-_- You know...you ppl gotta ease up a little...

I never blamed her for being senile, that's because I can be really forgetful myself. I just found it amusing. Wow...you've been a grandma before, getting a little sentimental here, eh?

jyrenze: Wow...he can remember all those?! I'm really bad at geography. >.< It's ok, I will think of other ways to use my brain other than programming.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Eng said...

Billy, Philip, so when's your turn for the 'Children's MyKad"? Let's hope Pun will get that "Hubby" card soon.

 
At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

brings down to one thing...

anything related to bf, ur grandma rememebers.. so get a bf!
ehehehe

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Jonquina said...

Eng: Eng eng ah...u scaring everyone here leh...HAHAHA!

Sugi: Don't worry, I've already asked my late grandfather for one. Uh, hopefully not in ghost form though.

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Jyrenze said...

His choice of a good bf might not be what you have in mind

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger BillyTong said...

eng: Are u suggesting us to issue 'Children's MyKad' b4 'wife mykard'? *ahem! -_- I cant believe u have that in ur mind.hahaha :P *kidding

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Eng said...

I was indirectly suggesting that you get a wife lar...

unless you only want to the child and not the mother lor...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home