Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Fried Rainbow, the Fish who Lived!

It all started when my lady boss bought a mini fountain for the office. It was a nice little fountain, with a mist-maker added to it. Lately, because of the dengue craze that has been going around, Guy Boss thought that it'll be good to keep a fish in it. For some odd reason, it has become my duty to go fish hunting and later on, taking care of the fish. So, I found Rainbow, a Betta Splenden (Siamese fighting fish) in a shop at One Utama.

My bosses (I don't know which one, I was having breakfast at that time) happily dumped Rainbow into the fountain. A few hours later, I thought I saw a small lump of blue on the carpet, but I assumed that it was part of the carpet. I checked the table the fountain was on, to make sure that the fish didn't jump out. My bettas have never jumped before. Later on, my Lady boss came in screaming that my fish is dead on the floor…turns out the blue lump was Rainbow…because it was drying up, the colour changed and it was the same colour as the carpet…Guy Boss picked it up and dumped it back into the fountain. I was not satisfied though. I decided to put it in a clear glass vase for observation. Only then did I realize that the water was too warm for the fish to live in. No doubt bettas live in warm water (paddy fields), the water in the fountain was too warm because of the mist maker. Poor Rainbow. I quickly fished him out, and put him into the vase…and he survived. Rainbow is now living comfortably in a pretty home. From then onwards, he was renamed, Fried Rainbow, the Fish Who Lived.

I have, at home, two crazy fishes in a nice tank. One is a platy and one more is a disco (glassfish) fish. Both are supposed to be social fishes, friendly and compatible with other fishes. Mine however…are murderers. My mom and I decided to put in a pair of guppies to see how they got along with each other. Disco decided to chase it around while Psycho Platy just looked at us, pretending not to see the new guppies. Odd. It was the Psycho Platy that normally chases other fishes. Looks like Disco learnt that from Psycho Platy. I was telling my mom, "Psycho Platy will wait till you are gone before he kills them." Mom didn't believe me. She didn't think that fishes are that smart. So we went for a nap. When checked the tank a few hours later…the guppies were missing. They were too small to jump out too. Hopefully they didn't get sucked into the filter…I don’t' think that's possible actually. The holes are too small. However, my sister thought that she saw something that resembles the guppies eyes in Disco's stomach…(Disco is transparent, his innards can be seen). MURDERERS! We can only assume that Disco and Psycho Platy had them for tea break. So much for being friendly…*sigh* People at the pet shop had a hard time believing us when we told them how aggressive our fishes are, since theirs are living in harmony with other fishes. After two days, the assumed guppy in Disco's stomach is gone. I think they really ate the guppies. T_T MURDERERS!

Labels:

13 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Blogger Jyrenze said...

Your house must really have some murderous vibes... Be careful of yurself and your sis..you never know whos going to be next

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Jonquina said...

...They'll die before they can reach us. I'm glad that they need water...

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Eng said...

your fishies are weird

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Jonquina said...

They are far from weird. They are absolutely abnormal and insane. One of my new guppy just got attacked by other guppies(assume lah). It's body is bent and the gill are seems a bit injured...*sigh* Nurse Steffi to the rescue again...

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Jyrenze said...

pity all da animals in ur house la, always getting into trouble, lol

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Jonquina said...

Being a fish nurse is my second job now...

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Eng said...

really??
I thought SM was your second one...

:P

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Jonquina said...

Hm...Nurse, second, SM (in your dreams), third. :D

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger ashes said...

u are way better than me la steff..im so proud of u.fish nurse lagi!
the main reason y i dun keep fish is because i feel so geli to hold it in my hands whenever i need to catch it or somethin.
im "allergic" watever that is soft + can move + slippery...:P

haha..i dun mind holding a cockaroach or a snake in my hand.

but just not a worm or a fish!

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Eng said...

gawd...
your're not afraid of cockaroaches or snakes but instead afraid of cute things like fish??

you are odd... hahahaha

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger YSLim said...

Why dont u take a screen capture and post it into your blog, so that we can see how's it looks like after it ate the guppies..

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Eng said...

poor guppies...
maybe she should keep her fishes in separate tanks

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Jonquina said...

Ahahaha, would love too, but too lazy to find out how to. Yes, my fishes are seperated, I just wanted to test, to see if they could live together. Stupid psychos...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home