Thursday, July 03, 2008

It's a Fish Tale

I own several sick guppies. Why sick? There was a time, one or two always turn up dead the next morning, even though I've mixed in the medicine and changed the water. Some kind of strange disease. Fed up, I just let them be. I even called it the "Swamp of Death". The baby guppies couldn't survive got the bigger ones love to attack them. I know I'm supposed to separate them, but...try catching babies from the Swamp of Death. The plant grew big and wild and the water got darker...

And I only had this many after a while...

Until one day..."MOM! There are baby guppies! LOTS of them!"

So I thought, they probably won't last long, as usual. However, after a week or two...they were still swimming around, and were slightly bigger, so it was easier to scoop them out and not miss them.

One fine, sunny Saturday morning, my mom and I cleaned all the fish...bowls? Pots? Anyway...I wasn't expecting THIS MANY BABIES!!! IT"S MADNESS!



Mom: They'd probably survived because it was too dark in there for the big ones to see them...

Me: You think so? It's stupid how when you work so hard to keep them alive, they don't. Then when you leave them alone, they breed like...guppies.

So anyway, we decided to separate the babes and adults while we were at it. These are their new homes:

Baby guppies new home

Big guppies new home. I think there are two preggy fishies in there...

I suddenly spotted a baby guppy who seems to be suffering from scoliosis! He's darker than the rest...

And my other lone ranger fish, Fei fei or Fatty, whichever you prefer, is a platy. Also known as the Murderer. Why? Initially I had 5 platys. Fei fei decided that he didn't like that and forced them to commit hara kiri.


Fei fei in a plastic container while I was cleaning his bowl.


Fei Fei in his new home, hiding at the bottom. Coward.

5 July 2008, Update:
This is ridiculous! I knew that at least two of the fishes were pregnant, and I was expecting more babies, but I didn't expect them to do this!


How did you guys get in there?! Ok, nevermind, maybe there's a tiny hole for you to go in, but...How am I going to get YOU out? How about when you are too big to squeeze out? Geez...I'll just have to flush you guys out when you are bigger...

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 3:34 PM, Blogger YSLim said...

cool guppies!

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Jonquina said...

Haha, thanks. A few more big ones died, but the remaining guppies and all the babies are doing well. Hopefully, the new batch will grow up big, strong and colourful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home