Monday, July 09, 2007

Marriage customs

070707 seems to be a popular date for weddings. I've just gotten back from Malacca, after attending my cousin's wedding on this popular date. I think 080808 would be...even more popular. Better book those wedding halls/restaurants/hotels now.

I've discovered many interesting customs which were unknown to me at my cousin's wedding (she's the bride).

1. When entering the groom's house, she had to walk over, er, this small pot of fire. I swear I saw the bottom of her gown almost catching fire. It turned slightly black because of the ashes, but after patting it, it was alright. Oh, I believe this was done to chase away demons/devils or er, anything unwanted...Correct me if I'm wrong.

2. Girls/ladies should not sit on the bridal bed. This is so that they will be bestowed with man sons and not daughters in the future.

3. Kids jumping on bed. To be specific, little boys. This is so that they will have many sons in the future. I think this was what led to China's current "wife shortage" situation. Probably every single family there practiced No. 2 and No. 3
The little boy was so cute...he probably thought that he heard wrongly when his mom told him to JUMP ON THE BED, since normally parents would yell, "STOP JUMPING ON THE BED NOW!!!" Well, in the end, they just got him to roll over on the bed.

4. Boy pissing into red potty wrapped with red crepe paper. Er, I don't know what is the purpose for doing this, maybe it's also related to "more sons in the future" thing. However, all the little boy did was punch through the crepe paper and fish out the red ang pow inside. Dang. I so thought that they were going to go, "Come on boy...shee shee now..." >=D

5. A red lamp must be lighted until the next morning. No idea what's the purpose of this red lamp.

I guess there were many more, but these were the ones which caught my attention. :D

I have also made many decisions after attending her wedding ceremony.

1. Marry a foreigner with different culture, or better still, someone from a less traditional family. This is so that I can always go back to my side for Chinese New Year :D No need to argue with him. I also really don't feel like "belonging" to the guy's side, as such is the case with traditional Chinese family.

2. I get to experience two different cultures, celebrate many festivals...

At most weddings, the brides will cry when they start talking to/about their mom. I decided that mine HAS TO BE A HAPPY ONE. So I've even prepared a speech, if there's a need for one.

"Hie mom. So you've finally gotten me out of the house...but don't celebrate yet! WE'LL come around to bug you, very often, in fact...Aha, you see? You have ONE more person to deal with..." *imagines herself with Shirota Yuu as the groom*

Ahem. I wonder if that would ever happen...>=D

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so,.. my darling steffi's wedding on 080808? hehehe .. :)

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Jyrenze said...

I didnt hear of fact 4 and 5 before, haha... but no way is there going to be any kid pissing at my wedding

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Darke Shard said...

What, you'll only marry a foreigner from a different culture? Aww, I am sad for the eligible men of Malaysia.

Also, in regards to the odd customs, I think it originated back in the old days...

"My good sir, is your son pissing in my favourite red pot?"
"Errr, no, he's blessing you so you'll have plenty of male children."
"Oh, that's okay then."

ALSO! I wonder what happens if the kids get confused and start peeing on the bed.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Eng said...

hahaha :D

Steffi, even before getting married, you've thought of what you what and even prepared a speech... are you that desperate to get married?? :P

 
At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

she's not desperate to get married. her parents are desperate for her to get a bf and then get married so she can get out of the house. am i right steffie? After all, elaine wanted to set you up with a blind date!! so let's all of us go on a mission to get steffie a bf!!! tho in many ways i pity the guy ;)

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Jonquina said...

Misha's mum: Ahahaha...I'm going to marry myself ah?

Jyrenze: HAHAHA! If there's a need for one, make sure he drinks lots of water the before the ceremony!

Darke Shard: I don't it's that easy to pee on that bed with so many people staring at you, waiting for you to "perform".

Eng: Sugi's right...I'm actually far from desperate, because I don't think I'll enjoy being tied down, no freedom to do as I wish and so on. I even have a feeling that I'll end up an old maid -_-

Sugi: PUGS! Don't forget that we are in the same boat...

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Eng said...

hehehe, ok so the parents are the ones desperate... got it!!! :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home